Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This is a very tasty pot pie made with a rich white sauce that includes chicken broth and Italian spices. There are none of the peas that are often in pot pies, but lots of chicken and potatoes.
- 1 whole chicken, cooked in boiling salted water and deboned
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- 1⁄2 cup white onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 2 cups white potatoes, diced
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- puff pastry sheet, to top casserole dish
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon water
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken broth slowly, stirring until smooth and simmering.
- Pour in the half and half slowly, stirring until smooth and simmering.
- Add the Italian seasoning, garlic, onions, celery, and carrots, and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, chicken, salt and pepper and simmer another 5-10 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Pour into a greased medium size casserole dish.
- Cover the dish with the puff pastry, lightly sealing the edges, and brush the top with a mixture of the egg and teaspoon of water.
- Bake in preheated oven at 400 degrees about 20 minutes, until the pastry is golden and puffy.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.
4 Stars "Loved It". Just made a couple changes...I used the broth from cooking the chicken in the recipe. I skipped the egg wash and used more garlic than called for. This was sooo good. Next day too ;) Very easy to make, and serious comfort food!
Reviewed for RSC # 9. I canâ€™t get commerical pastry in large sheets as ours come in boxes of little squares, so I had to do the jig-saw puzzle style piece-together with what I had. This was quite tasty and certainly didnâ€™t take long to put together. While I enjoyed it very much, it was missing that â€œcertain-somethingâ€? that would have made it a five star rating. Please see my rating system: a wonderful 4 stars for a tasty but not extra-ordinary Chicken Pie. Thanks!
This was very good, except it doesn't taste Italian. I would suggest adding 2 cloves of garlic and 1 tbls italian seasoning. Don't understand why we are using can chicken broth when we have fresh broth from cooking the chicken?