Recipe by Ria Bia
I wanted to try making chicken cordon bleu but I am not a big fan of swiss cheese, so i came up with this recipe based on a recipe I found on cooks.com. The white cream sauce is so yummy i was practically licking the plate!!! I served the meal with garlic mashed potatoes and green beans.
Chicken Cordon Bleu
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 5 -6 skinless chicken breast halves, pounded to 1/8 inch thick
- 5 -6 slices prosciutto (italian ham)
- 5 -6 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 roasted garlic cloves
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In skillet, heat half the butter over medium heat until bubbly and hot. Salt and pepper chicken than add it to skillet and cook briefly on each side (just until no longer pink).
- Transfer chicken to plate, top each with proscuitto and then mozzerella. Starting from the narrow end, roll chicken to enclose filling. Secure with a toothpick and transfer to a shallow baking dish; set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat remaining butter over low heat until bubbly and hot; add crumbs, parm. cheese and stir to combine. Sprinkle crumbs over chicken roll and bake until cheese is melted (about 5-8 minutes), remove toothpick, pour on sauce, and serve.
- To Make Sauce (while chicken is in oven):.
- In small saucepan, melt butter.
- With a whisk, beat in flour. When mixture bubbles, add milk all at once, stirring with a whisk to avoid lumps.
- Stir in cheese, mushed roasted garlic,and salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring constantly till thick and creamy.
- Pour over baked Chicken Cordon Bleu just before serving (and also everything else on your plate!).