Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This is a recipe from Cooking Light. It doesn't say what kind of lentils to use, but from the picture, I'd say brown, or puy.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups onions, sliced thinly
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 1 cup fresh cilantro (coriander)
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream or 1⁄2 cup yogurt
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat. Saute onion in oil until golden brown (about 8 minutes).
- Add rice, curry powder, mustard seeds, salt and pepper and saute 1 minute more.
- Add water and lentils and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 1 hour.
- Remove from heat. Add cilantro (coriander) and sour cream or yogurt. Stir through gently and serve.
Very good Indian rice. I made half a recipe but turned out excellent. Served with Best Ever Chicken Balti.
I really love it it was so goood I give some to my friend and they love it too thank you