Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is an amazing low fat, full-of-taste cold tomato soup and it is very easy to prepare. Cooking time is cooling time.
- 2 tomatoes (large, ripe)
- 1 garlic clove (crushed)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups tomato juice (fresh or canned)
- 1 cucumber (large English diced)
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream (for richer soup use full-fat)
- Place all ingredients in a blender except sour cream.
- Puree until smooth.
- Refrigerate until cold (you may prepare up to 2 days in advance).
- Just before serving, stir in sour cream.
- Serving suggestions: To keep the soup cold while serving, place a smaller bowl inside a large bowl and add ice to the larger bowl. Place the cold soup in the smaller bowl. Serve the soup in small bowls or single serving "shot glasses".
I changed this a bit so I don't even know if I should rate this...but...I used roma tomatoes that I roasted with garlic and EVOO...I got 2 cups of them after they were roasted...I also added a red bell pepper to the blender...I roasted the tomatoes with a little sugar so I didn't add any to the soup itself. This was very good served with grilled pimento cheese sandwiches. The whole family loved it.
This is a really great recipe, I prepared it last night for lunch today. It was super easy and really good on a warm day like today. I didn't change anything about it, other than making half the recipe because I thought 8 servings would be too much for us. It is definitely better if you let it sit for awhile so the garlic can work into it, because I tasted a spoonful before bed, and it was just good then rather than great like it was for lunch. The flavours really come together well and sour cream gives it a nice touch. Made for PAC Spring '09.