Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
This was born one night when I was trying a new recipe, but didn't have all the right ingredients. It's bits and pieces of 2 recipes plus my own additions. Awesome with fresh mushrooms, but very good with canned as well. I used to always buy the Knorr Herb and Garlic Sauce packages to make this dish, but haven't been able to find them for the last couple of years. This is VERY close to the same flavour, if not an exact duplicate, so that's exciting for me! Depending on how saucy you like your pasta, this is enough for 2 main course servings and up to 6 side dish servings.
- 226.79 g bacon, cut into pieces
- 59.14 ml chopped onion
- 236.59 ml canned mushroom stems and pieces, drained (or 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4.92 ml basil
- 4.92 ml tarragon
- 2.46 ml oregano
- 4.92-9.85 ml flour
- 236.59 ml milk
- 59.14 ml grated parmesan cheese
- fresh cracked pepper
- Place bacon pieces in a large frying pan and fry until about halfway cooked. (or you can do this step in the microwave).
- Drain (but don't blot off all the fat) and add chopped onions, mushrooms, and garlic. Fry until onion is soft.
- Add flour and seasonings and stir until you can't see the flour. Gradually add milk while stirring.
- Simmer until thickened. (This probably won't take more than a minute or two, depending on what kind of pan you're using.) Add parmesan cheese and stir until cheese is melted.
- Add to cooked pasta, toss to coat and serve.
Liked this very much. I made mine with skim milk since that's what I had on hand. Sauce still came out pretty good, but a little thin. Much healthier though! I will make this again.