Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This summer my partner, Andy, had a wonderful soup at the Lion's Bay Inn in Georgian Bay. This is a very close re-creation! YUMMY YUMMY in my tummy!
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 15 white potatoes, peeled and diced, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon garlic (chopped)
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup cream
- 2 teaspoons dried chives
- Cook bacon in a large stockpot over medium heat until crispy.
- Add onion and cook 4-5 minutes, until tender.
- Add salt and pepper, thyme sprigs, rosemary sprigs, nutmeg, marjoram, salt, pepper and bay leaf.
- Add potatoes and garlic, and mix well with bacon and onions.
- Add stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Add cream; remove bay leaf and puree with hand blender or in food processor.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and top with chopped scallions or cheddar cheese if desired.
This was exactly what I was looking for when I had a craving for bacon and potato soup! It was easy to make and very satisfying. Loved the nutmeg! I did make a few changes though: I used garlic salt instead of plain salt, added white pepper along with the black pepper, and then I used whipping cream instead of just cream so it was very creamy. I have had this recipe for only a couple weeks and I have already made it three times! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. It is the best! It will be a favorite of ours for years to come!