Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
The chef at The Captain Lord Mansion, a bed and breakfast in Kennebunkport, Maine served this side dish at breakfast one morning and was kind enough to share the recipe with our group. I also think it would be great with ham or roast beef as a side dish. The chef also told us that he had used the same "sauce" ingredients with cooked elbow macaroni and cubed ham, baking it for about 30 minutes.
- 1 (2 lb) bag frozen southern style hash brown potatoes
- 2⁄3 cup ranch dressing
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated (or more to taste)
- 1 (6 ounce) canfrench's onion rings, slightly crushed
- Mix all ingredients together except for the onion rings.
- Pour into a 9 X 13 baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with the crushed onion rings.
- Return to oven and bake an additional 5 to 8 minutes, or until onion rings are slightly browned and heated through.
DH as he was eating this: "These potatoes are SO good! --- These potatoes are really good! --- You're going to make these again aren't you?" It's obvious these were a hit at my house! Super easy & super tasty - thanks for posting!
I can't believe this hasn't had more reviews...it is incredibly delicious!!! I think I read in a review that someone added a 1 lb pkg of hot breakfast sausage, browned & drained??? At any rate, that's how I've always made it & it is soooooo yummy! This year I decided to increase the Ranch dressing to 1 cup due to the added sausage & that was just what it needed. It would be perfect as written too, without the sausage, but my husband said "why fix it if it ain't broke", right? It's a very versatile recipe. My husband and both sons-in-law requested the dish again this year for Christmas. When the men in the family ask for it, well you know it's a winner!!! Figured I'd better review this great recipe. Thanks so much for the original posting....this is a family favorite now!
I've made hash brown potatoes casserole for years, but this one is a little different, the Ranch Dressing adds something. Makes it extra creamy. I did add salt and pepper, but that is a give me to any recipe I make.