Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
My aunt in Iowa always serves a version of this at family gatherings. This is Paula Deen's version. I usually leave off the potato chips, sorry Miss Paula!
- 1⁄4 cup butter, plus more for dish
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1 (8 ounce) packageshredded monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (30 ounce) package frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups crushed potato chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter a casserole dish.
- In a small skillet, melt 1/4 cup of butter over medium heat. Add onion, and cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until soft. Pour mixture into a large bowl. Add the sour cream, cream of celery soup, cheese, garlic powder, hash browns, and salt and pepper. Combine until well blended.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish. Top evenly with crushed potato chips and bake for 45 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.