Recipe by Candace Avery
This yummy meal is easy to put together in the morning with no work at meal time. The potatoes taste like au gratin . I usually increase the ham to 3 cups if possible.
Top Review by evewitch
The flavor was good, but a bit too salty. I will eliminate the added salt next time. 2 c. of ham was plenty. Also, I agree that the sauce was soup-like and too liquid. I haven't decided whether or not to reduce the added water next time. Very filling and economical, also easy. I served it alone, but a green veggie would balance it nicely.
- 4 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups fully-cooked ham, cubed
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can cream of chicken soup or 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- In a slow cooker, layer potatoes, onion& ham.
- In a saucepan, melt butter.
- Stir in flour, mustard, salt& pepper until smooth.
- Combine soup& water; gradually stir into flour mixture.
- Bring to a boil; cook& stir for 2 minutes or until thickened& bubbly.
- Pour over ham.
- Cover & cook on low for 7-8 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- Sprinkle with cheese before serving.