1/2 Photos of Creamy Ham & Potato Soup
Growing up in the Midwest, this soup was a staple in our menu during the long winter months. When our sons were at home they loved the soup but it never seemed to hold them for very long. I added a few more ingredients and now they make this recipe for their families and friends and share the recipe often. I hope you enjoy it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel and chunk potatoes.
- 2Boil in salted water until almost done (fork can pierce but not break potato chunk).
- 3Chop onion, cube ham and add to potato water during last 5 minutes of boiling time.
- 4While potatoes are cooking, in small saucepan melt butter.
- 5Stir in flour, stirring constantly.
- 6Slowly add the half and half.
- 7Stir to remove lumps till smooth and starting to thicken.
- 8Slowly add 2 cups milk; stirring constantly to prevent lumps and scorching.
- 9Add 1/2 of the Velveeta Cheese.
- 10Stir to melt cheese.
- 11Add remaining milk.
- 12Season to taste.
- 13Drain water from potato& onions reserving approximately 1/2 of the water.
- 14Place drained ham, potatoes& onions in large stock pot.
- 15Add milk mixture, remaining cheese and stir over low heat till cheese is melted.
- 16Garnish w/choice of chopped green onions, bacon crumbles and grated cheddar cheese.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Ham & Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (313 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 497.4
- Calories from Fat 265
- Total Fat 29.4 g
- Saturated Fat 16.0 g
- Cholesterol 117.2 mg
- Sodium 715.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 26.9 g