Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
For chowder lovers! This recipe is well worth the time it takes to make. So hardy and delicious, you will consider it the entire meal.
- 4 cups water
- 1 ham (bone in)
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green peppers or 1⁄2 cup sweet red pepper
- 1 dash cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups lima beans
- 1 (14 ounce) can cream-style corn
- Bring water and Lima beans to a boil.
- Let simmer on Med heat for 2 minutes.
- Remove and let stand for 1 hour.
- Add ham and simmer until ham tender 1-2 hours adding salt approx half way.
- Remove ham from bone and chop into cubes.
- Mash beans just slightly.
- Cook onion, green pepper, red peppers and and butter in fry pan until tender (not brown).
- Add beans, ham, onion, peppers, corn, and milk to soup water.
- Simmer (do not boil).
- Add cumin, fresh garlic and black pepper to taste and serve.
I made this for a church potluck. It smelled good and those that ate it said the flavor was good but they would not call it a chowder. It was a good ham and lima bean soup.