Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a great recipe to use leftover ham, you can also use cooked chicken or turkey in place of the ham. One medium cauliflower cut into florets can be used in place of broccoli if desired. This recipe can be doubled if desired. You will love this casserole!
Top Review by Linky
I used cauliflower. Sauted garlic and onion and fresh mushrooms in EVOO and used total 1.5 cups milk/half and half and .5 cup cheese. For meat I had left-over smoked turkey. Used about 1/4 c. breadcrumbs, 1T.parm. and no butter on top. Also added 1cup peas! (so there would be some green and I had a small head of cauliflower!) It was really good!
- 3 cups broccoli florets (can use more)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional or to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream (or use full-fat milk)
- 1 cup shredded old cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste or use white salt)
- black pepper
- 2 cups cooked finely diced ham
- 3⁄4 cup canned sliced mushrooms, well drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 2 or 3-quart casserole dish.
- Cook the broccoli florets in boiling water until just tender; drain very well, then place on paper towels to dry further.
- Melt butter in a medium heavy-bottom saucepan over medium heat; add in the onions, garlic and cayenne, saute until tender (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add in flour whisking constantly until mixture thickens (about 2 minutes, do not brown the flour, if the mixture is too thick just add in more cream to thin out).
- Slowly add in half and half cream or full-fat milk, whisking constantly until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Add in cheddar cheese and sour cream; stir until the cheese melts (do not boil).
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Add in broccoli florets, ham and mushrooms into the cheese mixture; mix to combine.
- Transfer to prepared casserole dish.
- In a small bowl mix together the breadcrumbs with Parmesan cheese (if using) and melted butter until combined; sprinkle on top of casserole.
- Bake uncovered for about 45 minutes.