This is a great comfort food in winter. I use Yukon Gold potatoes, but red ones work fine too. It does not take long to make. My two stepsons even ask me to make this in the summer. My three year old even loves it! Great served with cornbread or biscuits. Great for holiday left over ham.
- Place potatoes in a large stock pot.
- Cover potatoes just to top with water.
- Add ham, onion, greek seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Cover with lid.
- Cook until potatoes are fork tender.
- Add butter.
- Remove from heat and add cream.
- (Tip: To make soup thicker, mash some of the potatoes with fork or masher) This soup will be thicker the next day, if any is left!
I have made this twice now- the first time I followed word for word- and it was fabulous! My husband wanted me to make it again, and this time I didn't have c ram, so I subbed 1.5 cup milk and .5 cup butter as suggested in the forums. I also added a head of broccoli, finely chopped, and I mashed it more than I did the first time... Oh my goodness did it turn out amazing! We put shredded cheese on top, and it was like loaded mashed potatoes, but more flavorful! This will be a regular!
This was so good and easy to make. This is a new favorite in our house.