Recipe by English_Rose
Bump up the veg content by adding peas or sweetcorn to the sauce. Or to make it veggie; instead of ham stir through wilted spinach and crumbled blue cheese. Can be frozen.
- 1 lb farfalle pasta
- 2 ounces butter, plus a little extra
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, halved
- 6 scallions, finelt sliced
- 2 ounces all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 5 ounces ham, chopped
- 5 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the pasta according to pack instructions, then drain.
- Heat the oven to 400F then melt a little butter in a large saucepan.
- Fry the mushrooms for a couple of mins, then scoop out and set aside. Use some kitchen paper to wipe out the pan.
- Melt the remaining butter in the pan, then add most of the scallions and soften for 1 minute
- Stir in the flour for another minute, then gradually stir in the milk until you have a lump-free sauce.
- Increase the heat and bubble the sauce, stirring for a few mins to thicken.
- Turn off the heat, stir in the ham and most of the cheese then season to taste.
- Tip the pasta and mushrooms into a large ovenproof dish, then pour over the sauce and mix well in the dish.
- Scatter over the remaining cheese and scallions and bake in the oven for 10 mins until golden.