1/2 Photos of Creamy Ham and Corn Chowder
This is a recipe I came up with a few years ago when I had a leftover ham bone from dinner, and it's wonderfully tasty. Good for using the leftovers after Christmas or Easter dinners. Serve with good, crusty bread and be ready to provide seconds. :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 ham bone, with at least 1 cup of meat remaining on bone
- water, to cover
- 59.16 ml butter
- 59.16 ml flour
- 473.18 ml milk (whole milk preferred)
- 354.88 ml frozen corn or 425.24 g can corn
- 14.79 ml dried onion flakes or 59.14 ml freshly minced onion
- 1-2 clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- paprika, to taste
- 1On a firm non-breakable surface, take a clean hammer and crack the middle of the ham bone so that marrow can escape during cooking.
- 2Place ham bone flat in the bottom of a pot and add enough water to just cover.
- 3Simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes.
- 4Remove bone and cut off the remaining tender ham meat; set meat aside.
- 5Turn up the heat on the ham broth and reduce down until you have about a couple of cups of broth, or to desired strength.
- 6Skim the fat from the broth.
- 7Melt butter in a large pan; remove from heat and mix in flour until smooth.
- 8Slowly add 1 cup milk, stirring constantly.
- 9Return pan to stove and cook on low heat until milk thickens.
- 10Stir the corn, the ham pieces you set aside earlier, dried minced onion, and minced garlic into thickened milk; then slowly stir in the remaining milk and the ham broth.
- 11Cook on low for about 15 minutes, but do not boil.
- 12Add salt, pepper, and paprika to taste.
- 13*Note: how much meat you leave on the bone is up to you, but I like to have a couple of cups of ham bits mixed into this chowder.
- 14Optional: you can add a cup of cooked, chopped potato chunks to the soup near the end of the cooking, if you like.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Ham and Corn Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (208 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 268.2
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 47.6 mg
- Sodium 163.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 6.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: