Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a recipe I came up with a few years ago when I had a leftover ham bone from dinner, and it's wonderfully tasty. Good for using the leftovers after Christmas or Easter dinners. Serve with good, crusty bread and be ready to provide seconds. :)
- 1 ham bone, with at least 1 cup of meat remaining on bone
- water, to cover
- 59.16 ml butter
- 59.16 ml flour
- 473.18 ml milk (whole milk preferred)
- 354.88 ml frozen corn or 425.24 g can corn
- 14.79 ml dried onion flakes or 59.14 ml freshly minced onion
- 1-2 clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- paprika, to taste
- On a firm non-breakable surface, take a clean hammer and crack the middle of the ham bone so that marrow can escape during cooking.
- Place ham bone flat in the bottom of a pot and add enough water to just cover.
- Simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Remove bone and cut off the remaining tender ham meat; set meat aside.
- Turn up the heat on the ham broth and reduce down until you have about a couple of cups of broth, or to desired strength.
- Skim the fat from the broth.
- Melt butter in a large pan; remove from heat and mix in flour until smooth.
- Slowly add 1 cup milk, stirring constantly.
- Return pan to stove and cook on low heat until milk thickens.
- Stir the corn, the ham pieces you set aside earlier, dried minced onion, and minced garlic into thickened milk; then slowly stir in the remaining milk and the ham broth.
- Cook on low for about 15 minutes, but do not boil.
- Add salt, pepper, and paprika to taste.
- *Note: how much meat you leave on the bone is up to you, but I like to have a couple of cups of ham bits mixed into this chowder.
- Optional: you can add a cup of cooked, chopped potato chunks to the soup near the end of the cooking, if you like.
Absolutely a 5 star recipe...delicious!
This is soooo yummy! We had quite a bit of ham left after Easter, so I made 1 1/2 times the recipe for the broth. It's so creamy and wonderfully delicious. Can't wait for the next ham dinner - just so I can make it again! The ultimate comfort food! Thanks for the incredible recipe.
This recipe was great, I urge everyone to try it, my 10 and 11 year olds loved it .. "Mommy when can we have this again" I will make sure I double it the next time. Thank you!!