1/2 Photos of Creamy Ham and Asparagus Soup
mums the word's Note:
A great dish for using up that leftover ham. This comes from TOH Country Soups and Stews 1999 by Maurine Kent of Texas. I have adapted slightly by adding swiss cheese and dill which I have shown as optional ingredients. This is really good soup, you will enjoy it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups asparagus spears, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 onions, small white, quartered
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup ham, cooked and cubed
- 2 1/2 ounces mushrooms, drained (I use fresh)
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 cup swiss cheese, shredded (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dill (optional)
- parmesan cheese, shredded (optional)
- chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 1Place asparagus in a saucepan with enough water to cover and cook until crisp-tender.
- 2Drain and set aside.
- 3In a heavy saucepan, saute carrot in butter for 3 - 5 minutes.
- 4Add onions and saute 2 minutes longer or til tender.
- 5Stir in flour and gradually add milk whisking until smooth.
- 6Bring to a boil and stir for 2 minutes.
- 7Add broth, ham, mushrooms and reserved asparagus.
- 8Reduce heat and add cream.
- 9Heat through but do not boil.
- 10Salt and pepper to taste.
- 11Add Swiss Cheese and dill if using.
- 12Garnish with Parmesan and parsley.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Ham and Asparagus Soup
Serving Size: 1 (421 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 301.4
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 64.3 mg
- Sodium 846.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 16.5 g