Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This works well with several other types of fish also. When in a pinch, I have used a can of cream of chicken soup, lemon and pepper spice, and omitted the flour when I didn't have the lemon juice and canned mushrooms and it turned out superb.
- 2 lbs halibut steaks
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can mushrooms, sliced, reserve liquid
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Rinse and pat very dry halibut steaks.
- Place the steaks in a well greased baking dish.
- Drizzle lemon juice over the steaks.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan; stir in the flour.
- Add the seasonings; mix well.
- Add enough milk to the mushroom liquid to make 1 cup.
- Whisk into the flour mixture.
- Cook until thick over medium heat.
- Pour over the halibut steaks.
- Sprinkle with mushrooms and cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
This were easy to make - I used mahi mahi, as the store did not have Halibut. But still turned out nicely. Next time I might up the spices a little, thought it could have had a little more bite to it. thanks