Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Great with grilled ham and shrimp to make an eclectic meal!
Make and share this Creamy Grits recipe from Food.com.
- In large pot, heat milk and butter until simmering.
- Add grits, whisking to prevent sticking to pan. Season if desired with salt and pepper.
- Add water when grits begin to bubble.
- Cook until consistency of oatmeal.
- Stir in cream cheese and heavy cream until incorporated.
- NOTE: I like to add "Old Bay Seasoning" and grilled shrimp and prosciutto for dinner. Otherwise, enjoy as you usually do grits!
This is the third time I cooked grits. Because it is still a new taste experience for me, I do not have a good grasp of grit's potential yet. However, I do know that I've liked all three recipes very much. This time, I used yellow grits I ordered online and started tasting after milk and butter. Very tasty but very thick and quite gritty. Next I tasted it with water after cooking for 30 minutes. Very, very tasty. I could have stopped right here with only salt and pepper and would have been perfectly happy serving this. Next, I added cream and parmesan. Very tasty, but I can taste more cheese than grits. The last step was adding cream cheese. This made the dish extremely rich, perhaps a bit too rich for my taste but I think this is a very good recipe that would appeal to many people worthy of 5 stars. Thank you cylee for posting this wonderful recipe!