Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
A recipe I got from my mom, with a few modifications. I'm whimpy when it comes to spice, so feel free to add more spice if you wish. You could add a diced jalapeno into the sauce, or more cayenne. You could also substitute flour tortillas for the corn. These are creamy, rich, and make great leftovers.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 2 (4 ounce) cans green chilies, undrained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup salsa
- 3 cups cheese, shredded (I used a mixture of pepper jack and colby jack)
- 12 small corn tortillas
- In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter, stir in flour, mix and cook until bubbly. Slowly stir in the chicken stock, cook slowly, until thickened.
- Remove from the heat and add the sour cream, cilantro, green chilies, cayenne, cumin and chili powder. Remove from heat.
- In a small pan, saute the onion in 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add to a bowl with the cooked chicken, salsa, lime juice, and 3/4 cup of the cooked sauce. Stir well.
- In a greased oblong baking dish, add 1 cup sauce to the bottom of the pan. Soften each tortilla for a few seconds in the microwave, and fill each tortilla with 2 tablespoons chicken mixture and 1 tablespoon cheese. Put seam side down in the baking dish. Pour the remaining sauce on top.
- Bake 1/2 hr at 350, covered.
- Take off cover and add the remaining cheese, and a bit of salsa or chopped tomato. Bake another 5- 10 minutes until the cheese is melted.