Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This sounds perfect for cold nights! Potatoes, green chiles, cream and cheese!?? Doesn't get much better than that! Source: internet
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and oregano; cook for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, potatoes and hot pepper sauce; bring to a boil.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add green chiles, cream and cheese.
- Heat until cheese is melted.
- Season with salt and black ground pepper to taste. Garnish with cilantro.
Oh my goodness, this is soooooo good. I had dental surgery and am on a soft/liquid diet for a few weeks so I made this, and it totally hit the spot. Very filling and flavorful. I used hot Hatch green chiles because I like a lot of heat, and it did not disappoint. I'll have a hard time ever eating the traditional potato soup now. This recipe is definitely a keeper!
This is one of my family's favorite soups that I make! I did tweek it a little bit... I add about a pound of hamburger scramble fried to make it more filling. And I use the H.E.B. brand of velvetta cheese instead of monterey jack. It makes it much creamier, and they LOVE IT! Definitely a 5 star recipe at our house!
Good soup! Definitely great for those snowy days. The fresh cilantro adds great flavor. The green chili flavor is pretty subtle. Next time I think I would double the green chilis and also add some flour after sauteing the onions to thicken it up a bit. Thanx for posting this!