Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This soup is wonderful on any day, but especially on a fall day having carved the pumpkin for Halloween. The ginger and curry flavour work well with the pumpkin.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 lb fresh pumpkin, cubed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup half-and-half cream (or you can use lighter cream or milk depending on how creamy or light you wish to have the soup)
- Melt the butter in a large pot and add onions, cook until tender approx 5 minute.
- Add pumpkin, broth and ginger and cook over medium heat for approx 15 min until pumpkin is very tender.
- Puree with hand blender (or pour mix into regular blender) until you have a smooth texture.
- Add curry, tumeric and cream/milk and heat through without boiling. Add salt to taste.
- Serve with crusty bread.
I used winter squash(Hubbard) came out very nice. Trying to be more vegetarian friendly for Holly and I will make this again for myself.
Yum! I used pie pumpkin, as I needed to use some up. I also used evaporated milk instead of the cream - it provides much the same mouthfeel, but saves on calories. Also, I put the curry and turmeric in with the onions just as they became tender. I find that heating the curry in a little fat really enhances the flavors. I also added a couple of garlic cloves, as they go with the rest of the ingredients, and I had half a bulb of garlic sitting on the counter. I might up the amount of pumpkin next time, just to provide a bit more "heft" to the soup, but it was good just as it is.
I made a full batch and the DM and I nearly polished off the whole lot for our lunch, all the flavours could be tasted but none dominated over the other all just complimenting each other. Thank you Deantini, made for Please Review My Recipe.