Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
My son is coming for dinner tonight, although he's a fussy eater, this is one of his favourites, so he's chosen it. I sometimes add a sliced chilli to this too.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 kg raw shrimp, peeled,deveined
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon chicken stock powder
- 300 ml cream
- 2 tablespoons finely sliced green onion tops
- hot cooked rice, to serve
- Heat the oil in a wok over a medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and saute for 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add the shrimp, and toss to coat, cook for about 3 minutes, or until just pink and firmed up.
- Pour in the wine, and cook for 2 minutes, to reduce a little.
- Add the stock powder and cream, and bring to the boil quickly.
- Reduce the heat, and simmer for about 5 minutes or until reduced and thickened a little.
- Stir through the sliced onion tops, and serve over hot rice in deep bowls, or a steak to make what we call Surf'n'turf..
This was very good!! I used thawed frozen shrimp but didn't add them until step 6. I increased the garlic by 1 more teaspoon, added 1/4 tsp. white pepper, & a pinch of salt. I served this over linguine.
Stole this...it is now the family favorite and everyone thinks I am amazing. Not bad considering this is simple to make, gourmet in taste and it takes longer to shell the shrimp than it does to cook it LOL Keys for me are using shrimp that are not shelled/deveined until I am ready to cook them...if you can get fresh...so much the better. But if you have to buy frozen don't buy the pre-cooked. I barely sear the shrimp before adding the wine and cream. Don't want them overcooked and it only takes a couple minutes to get them done. I then remove the shrimp, fire up the heat to thicken the cream sauce, shut it down and pour it over the shrimp. I lay down a bed of angle hair pasta or wild rice and then top it with this creamy garlic shimp and people think I am a 5 star chef! Thanks JustJanS You made me a hero with this one! :)
I had never cooked shrimp before, so I took this recipe and adjusted it to ingredients on hand. It tasted like a creamy garlic shrimp dish I order at a local restaurant. Yum!