Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
a rich and creamy garlic shrimp dish, don't try this unless you love shrimp AND garlic...
Make and share this Creamy Garlic Shrimp recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs shrimp, cooked and peeled
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (more if you want spicy)
- 8 green onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup white cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- Melt the butter in a large non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Add the crushed red pepper and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add the flour.
- Stir until well blended.
- Add the milk a bit at a time and stir until smooth before adding more.
- Return mixture to heat.
- Add the shrimp, green onion and cheese and cook until the sauce has thickened and the shrimp is hot.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over cooked rice, noodles or toast.
My family just loved this! It was quick, it was easy, it was delicious. I omitted the green onions (DS hates 'em) but the dish would have looked so much prettier had they been included; I also used 2 cups whole milk and 1 cup half-and-half for the "3 cups milk". Unlike other reviewers, my sauce thickened up very quickly; in fact, I had to turn the heat off under it as it was ready before my pasta was cooked! I used a very strong extra-old white cheddar that I bought at Sweetwater Valley Farm in Tennessee (we stopped there while driving down to Florida; it's just off I-75) and surprisingly, I couldn't taste it in the sauce at all. Next time I'll add more cheese. I cooked up 350 grams of wagon wheel pasta (fusilli or farfalle would have been better, but I'm all out) and then tossed it in with the sauce, adding 2 tbsp of parmesan cheese too, along with a small bit of salt. The 3 of us all had seconds and I have enough left over for lunch for me, so I could have easily fed 4, if not 5, people with this amount. If I had thought to add in some broccoli spears, I would have had a complete meal, too. Our meal was so tasty and judging by my family's reaction, this one'll be made again!
WOW - this was delicious. Easy to put together but like "Karen in TBay" I found that it took quite a while to thicken. Husband couldn't resist having "seconds" and looks forward to my making it again. Thanks, Pixie - just a great dish!!
Easy and delicious. Hubby went back for seconds, then ate even more for a late night snack. Guess he couldn't get enough! I had to omit the flour because he is on the Atkin's diet, so I subbed half and half for the milk and only used enough to make the sauce nice and creamy.