Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans, toasted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Grease and lightly flour an 8-inch square baking pan; set aside.
- In a small heavy saucepan, melt unsweetened chocolate and butter over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; set aside to cool slightly.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, nuts, baking powder; set aside.
- In a big bowl, stir together the melted chocolate and 1 ½ cups sugar; add in 3 of the eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla; lightly beat with a wooden spoon just until combined (don’t overbeat or brownies will rise too high, then fall).
- Stir in flour mixture; spread batter in the prepared baking pan; bake at 350° for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhite, in a small heavy saucepan melt semisweet chocolate over low heat; remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- In a bowl, combine the cream cheese, melted semisweet chocolate, remaining egg, remaining ¼ cup sugar, milk, and remaining ½ teaspoon vanilla; beat with an electric mixer on medium-high heat until combined.
- Carefully spread topping evenly over hot brownies; bake 10 minutes more or until topping appears set.
- Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Cover and chill at least 2 hours before serving; cut into bars.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.