Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I have never tried this recipe. I got this recipe years ago from a cookbook that was my grammy's. The recipe says it makes enough frosting to frost 2 9-inch cakes tops and sides.
- 4 unsweetened chocolate squares, chopped
- 1 2⁄3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons soft butter, cut up
- Heat the unsweetened chocolate, confectioners sugar, and heavy cream in a double boiler stirring constantly, over medium heat.
- Remove from the heat when the chocolate has melted.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Place melted chocolate frosting in a bowl, then place into a bigger bowl that has been half way filled with ice water.
- Let the frosting set until cold and thick, then remove from the ice water.
- Beat in the butter on high speed with an electric mixer until creamy.