Recipe by Pinay0618
Sweetened condensed milk gives this recipe a little different flavor than the other margarita pies I've found. Recipe from Good Housekeeping.
- 1 1⁄2 cups vanilla wafer crumbs
- 5 tablespoons margarine or 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 pint strawberry
- 2 limes
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare Crumb Crust: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In 9-inch pie plate, with fork, stir crust ingredients until crumbs are moistened. With hand, press mixture onto bottom and up side of pie plate, making a slight rim. Bake crust 10 minutes. Cool crust in pie plate on wire rack.
- Prepare Strawberry Filling: Hull enough strawberries to equal 2 cups; reserve remaining berries for garnish. From limes, grate 1 teaspoon peel and squeeze 1/4 cup juice. In food processor with knife blade attached, pulse hulled berries with lime peel and juice, undiluted sweetened condensed milk, and orange-flavor liqueur until almost smooth. Transfer mixture to large bowl.
- In small bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat 2/3 cup cream until stiff peaks form; reserve remaining cream for garnish. Gently fold whipped cream into strawberry mixture, one-third at a time.
- Pour filling into cooled crust. Freeze at least 4 hours or until almost firm. (If not serving pie on the same day, wrap frozen pie in foil or plastic wrap and freeze up to 1 week.).
- If pie freezes completely, let it stand at room temperature 10 minutes before serving for easier slicing. Meanwhile, cut each reserved strawberry in half. In small bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat remaining 1/3 cup cream just until stiff peaks form. Mound whipped cream in center of pie and top with strawberry halves.