Prep 15 mins
Cook 24 hrs
Sweet and tart fruits with marshmallows and whipped cream. Good side for poultry, pork or ham. I made this for a big family Thanksgiving dinner and it went over well. As discussed in the forums at http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?p=3434704#3434704 I wanted a salad similar to several mentioned in that thread, but none was exactly what I wanted, so I took a bit from each and made my own adaptation. "Cooking" time is really "chilling" time.
- 1 (12 ounce) bag fresh cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, well drained (I use the ones in juice, not heavy syrup)
- 1 cup green grape, halved
- 2 cups apples, diced and not peeled (I used one small green pippin and one small honeycrips)
- 1⁄2 lb miniature marshmallow (1/2 of a package)
- 1⁄2 cup macadamia nuts, chopped (optional or could use other nuts)
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- Mince the cranberries in a food processor. Do this in two batches.
- Stir together the cranberries and sugar. Let sit and chill for about 8 hours. (I do this the morning before I want to serve this salad.).
- After about 8 hours, drain the cranberries well and stir in the well-drained crushed pineapple. Add the grapes and apples and stir. Then fold in the marshmallows and nuts.
- Let sit overnight in the refrigerator.
- A few hours before serving, whip the cream until it is becoming stiff. Fold into the fruit mixture.
- Chill until serving.
This recipe is really great! However, I changed it up just a bit. I added sugar and lemon juice to the cranberries, stuck them in the freezer for about 30 minutes, added it to my pre-made fruit dressing of fresh pineapple chunks, honeydew, red and green grapes (whole), red delicious apples, normal sized marshmallows, orange zest, and fresh-squeezed orange juice. I mixed in the cooled cranberries, and everybody just loved it!