Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a creamy onion soup topped with Stilton cheese toast.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 lbs white onions (thinly sliced)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups whipping cream
- salt and pepper
- 6 slices French bread
- 3 ounces Stilton cheese
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Toast 6 thick slices of French bread in a 300 degree oven until crisp.
- Blend the Stilton with a couple tablespoons of butter, then spread on the toast.
- When ready to serve the soup, pop one of these on top of each serving bowl and sprinkle with lots of cheddar cheese.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat.
- Add onions, cover, and cook until translucent, stirring occasionally for about 30 minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add cream and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer to thicken slightly (about 15 minutes).
- Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls, top with Stilton Toast, and run under the broiler until the cheese is melted and brown.
- Serve immediately.
This is very rich and creamy...yum!! I actually only made the soup and passed on the toast (not into Stilton cheese), but this is great soup with nothing added on top, I promise! Just make sure you like rich soup before deciding to make it. ;-)Was very easy to make, didn't take hardly any time, either. (I made half a recipe and halved the cooking times.) I would actually call it something like creamy onion soup...only because the "french onion soup" part to me makes me think more of a beef broth. Great recipe, thanks Nat!!