Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love spaghetti casseroles and this one has more flavor with the chili powder in the sauce. The evaporated milk poured over the top melts into the cheese and makes it extra creamy.
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil (I'm sure you could use less, but it does help keep the hamburger from tasting dry)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms
- 3 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16 ounce) package thin spaghetti
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- Saute onion, celery, and garlic in oil in a large skillet until vegetables are tender.
- Add ground beef and cook until browned.
- Drain well.
- Add mushrooms and the next 4 ingredients and stir well.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered 15 minutes.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Drain well.
- Place spaghetti in a greased 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Top with sauce and sprinkle 1 cup of cheese.
- Pour milk over cheese.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until cheese melts and mixture is thoroughly heated.
- (I bake covered).
This is a good hearty casserole, I used the thicker spaghetti for this, added in some Parmesan cheese to the ground beef mixture, increased the garlic way up and and used mushroom soup mixed with a bit of 18% cream in place of the evaporated milk, also I used fresh sauteed mushrooms in place of canned, great casserole Rox! thanks for sharing, Kitten:)
This was good and easy to put together. I used olive oil and sharp chedder cheese. The chili powder was a nice touch. Thanks for the recipe.