Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
from Eating Well Magazine, October 2009
Make and share this Creamy Fettuccini With Brussels Sprouts & Mushrooms recipe from Food.com.
- 12 ounces whole wheat fettuccine
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups Brussels sprouts, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry, or, 2 T sherry vinegar
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup asiago cheese, shredded
- Cook pasta until tender, 8-10 minutes. Drain & return to pot.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add veggies, and cook, stirring often, until mushrooms have released their liquid, 8-10 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add sherry, scraping up any brown bits; bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until almost evaporated.
- Whisk milk and flour in a bowl; add to the skillet with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the sauce bubbles and thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in Asiago until melted. Toss the pasta and the sauce. Serve with more cheese, if desired.
I used freshly made farfalle and added onion as I didn't have enough mushrooms. Excellent with a salad and french bread.
Quick, sneaky way to get extra veggies in one's diet! This must be timed correctly, or the vegetables overcook! Next time, I would cook veges until they are still crisp, remove them from the pan, add sherry and cook down, then add milk mixture, then cheese, then toss veges back in at the last minute.