Recipe by tara portee
The orzo is prepared similarly to risotto, so it has an extra creaminess. The feta gives a suprise "twang," that you might not otherwise expect. This is rich, full dish that is lovely to serve to family or company.
Top Review by ~Leslie~
This was absolutely delicious, and quite simple to make despite the number of steps! It was a fantastic blend of flavours, and we really loved it. I will be making this one again. Thanks for posting!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 cups feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded parmesan cheese
- 6 thinly sliced roma tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups green bell peppers, medium dice
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, medium dice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped basil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 6 cups hot low sodium chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 13X9 dish.
- Have stock heating in a sauce pan on medium heat.
- Spread the thinly sliced tomato on several paper towels, then lay several other paper towels on top and press lightly. Hold off to the side for later.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet on medium high heat (you may want to use the same skillet you are going to put the orzo in) saute the green peppers and onion for 5 minutes (get them soft, but do not brown them.)Add the chopped garlic for the last minute of cooking. Reserve the mixture off to the side.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in the skillet on medium high heat. Add the uncooked orzo , stirring often for about 3 minutes. Add the hot stock one cup at a time, stirring constantly until each cup is absorbed. This will take 10 to 11 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to medium. Add the black pepper and basil.
- Stir in crumbled feta; let it start to melt (smash larger pieces with wooden spoon.) Add cream and stir all together for about two minutes.
- Spread 2 cups of the orzo mixture in the bottom of your buttered dish.
- Lay half of your tomato slices in a single layer over the orzo mixture.
- Lay half of the shrimp in a single layer over the tomato slices.
- Spoon 2 cups of the orzo mixture over the shrimp.
- Spoon the green pepper/onion mixture over the layer of orzo.
- Lay the rest of the shrimp over the green pepper/onion mixture.
- Spoon the last 2 cups of the orzo over the shrimp.
- With the second half of your tomato slices put a single layer over the orzo.
- Place the uncovered dish in the preheated oven.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- After the twenty five minutes, sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the top of the tomatoes and place back in the oven for another five minutes.