1 hr 5 mins
tara portee's Note:
The orzo is prepared similarly to risotto, so it has an extra creaminess. The feta gives a suprise "twang," that you might not otherwise expect. This is rich, full dish that is lovely to serve to family or company.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 cups feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups shredded parmesan cheese
- 6 thinly sliced roma tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups green bell peppers, medium dice
- 1 1/2 cups onions, medium dice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped basil
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 6 cups hot low sodium chicken broth
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Butter a 13X9 dish.
- 3Have stock heating in a sauce pan on medium heat.
- 4Spread the thinly sliced tomato on several paper towels, then lay several other paper towels on top and press lightly. Hold off to the side for later.
- 5Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet on medium high heat (you may want to use the same skillet you are going to put the orzo in) saute the green peppers and onion for 5 minutes (get them soft, but do not brown them.)Add the chopped garlic for the last minute of cooking. Reserve the mixture off to the side.
- 6Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in the skillet on medium high heat. Add the uncooked orzo , stirring often for about 3 minutes. Add the hot stock one cup at a time, stirring constantly until each cup is absorbed. This will take 10 to 11 minutes.
- 7Turn the heat down to medium. Add the black pepper and basil.
- 8Stir in crumbled feta; let it start to melt (smash larger pieces with wooden spoon.) Add cream and stir all together for about two minutes.
- 9Spread 2 cups of the orzo mixture in the bottom of your buttered dish.
- 10Lay half of your tomato slices in a single layer over the orzo mixture.
- 11Lay half of the shrimp in a single layer over the tomato slices.
- 12Spoon 2 cups of the orzo mixture over the shrimp.
- 13Spoon the green pepper/onion mixture over the layer of orzo.
- 14Lay the rest of the shrimp over the green pepper/onion mixture.
- 15Spoon the last 2 cups of the orzo over the shrimp.
- 16With the second half of your tomato slices put a single layer over the orzo.
- 17Place the uncovered dish in the preheated oven.
- 18Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- 19After the twenty five minutes, sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the top of the tomatoes and place back in the oven for another five minutes.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Feta Orzo With Shrimp
Serving Size: 1 (700 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 945.4
- Calories from Fat 493
- Total Fat 54.8 g
- Saturated Fat 28.0 g
- Cholesterol 368.8 mg
- Sodium 1297.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 55.2 g