Recipe by Judedeva
This is another one of my mother's recipes. This soup is very satisfying in the fall. I like it with my mother's cornbread recipe, that is also posted here. For those on a low fat or low salt diets, this is easily adapted by leaving out the cream and salt.
Top Review by Kumquat the Cat's friend
Very satisfying soup, and a pretty green color too. Made this for supper last night and my BF and I both had seconds. I included parmesan cheese and green onions for garnish. 1 large potato will produce 2 cups. I bought 2 instead and reduced the zucchini and yellow squash by a bit. I steamed vegetables for about 15 minutes and processed all the vegetables in a large food processor in a single batch, then added to the broth. I then added 1 cup of low-fat milk and a couple tablespoons of cream. This made a very thick and filling soup. I don't need to worry about sodium so I added quite a bit of salt. Nice way to get your kids to eat their vegetables, perhaps! Thanks Judedeva!
- 3 cups zucchini, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 3 cups yellow squash, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups green beans, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and cut in 1 inch pieces
- 2 -4 cups vegetable broth, for steaming
- 1⁄2 cup cream, optional
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, for garnish (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, sliced for garnish (optional)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Set up steamer with vegetable broth in bottom.
- Place all vegetables, except for green onions, in steamer and steam till tender.
- Remove vegetables from steamer and puree, in batches, in food processor or blender till smooth and creamy.
- Stir in cream, if desired, and enough vegetable broth to make a creamy, velvet texture.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with green onions and parmesain/reggiano, if desired.