Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a nice brunch dish.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs small boiling onions, peeled
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 12 hard-boiled eggs
- salt and pepper
- Cut each onion in half lengthwise through stem; then cut each half into thin slices.
- In a 5-quart Dutch oven over medium heat, melt butter; add onions and cook, stirring, until soft but not browned, about 25 minutes.
- In a 2-quart pot over medium heat, scald milk but DO NOT BOIL.
- Gradually stir flour into the onion mixture until well blended; slowly pour in hot milk and cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens.
- Slice eggs 1/2 inch thick and reserve about 10 slices to garnish the top of the dish.
- Gently stir remaining egg slices into the sauce; season to taste with salt and pepper and spoon the mixture into a large, warm, rimmed platter.
- Garnish with reserved egg slices.