2 hrs 20 mins
Raquel Grinnell's Note:
From the Love & Olive Oil blog; posted here so as not to lose it! I love all things eggnog.... Prep time includes chilling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk, divided
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons tapioca starch (can sub cornstarch if you can't find it)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, plus more for garnish (freshly grated)
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons Bourbon (For a kid and pregnant-lady-friendly version, replace the bourbon with an additional 1/2 teaspoon va)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- vanilla wafer cookie
- whipped cream, for garnish
- 1Heat 2 cups of the milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat until it just begins to simmer.
- 2In a heatproof bowl, whisk together sugar, tapioca and nutmeg. Whisk in egg yolks until mixture forms a thick yellow paste, then whisk in remaining 1/2 cup milk until smooth.
- 3Whisk some of the hot milk into the yolk mixture, 1/4 cup at a time, whisking constantly (this will temper the egg yolks rather than cook them). When about half of the milk has been added and yolk mixture is warm to the touch, return entire mixture to the saucepan. Whisk over medium heat until mixture thickens and starts to bubble, then cook for 2 minutes more, whisking constantly so custard stays smooth and does not burn. Remove from heat and stir in butter, followed by bourbon and vanilla.
- 4Pour pudding into a heatproof bowl or serving dish. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing the plastic wrap onto the surface of the pudding to prevent a skin from forming. Chill for 2 hours or more.
- 5To serve, crumble some vanilla wafer cookies into individual bowls or serving dishes. Top with a spoonful of pudding, followed by a dollop of whipped cream and a pinch of fresh nutmeg.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Eggnog Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (102 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 146.3
- Calories from Fat 55
- Total Fat 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 103.6 mg
- Sodium 49.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 16.4 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: