Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
I prefer eggnog made with bourbon. This is the best, I think. From Southern Living.
Top Review by Bonnie G #2
Made this to serve on Christmas Eve & Day and it was sooooo wonderful. Thick, creamy and actually pretty easy to make. I used rum as it's our preferance and when I put it in the punch bowl added hunks of vanilla ice cream to keep it cold. It was so pretty and everyone loved it. It keep well overnight too and with just a little shake was ready to go the next afternoon. Wish I'd taken a picture it was so pretty but with all the action of the day just did not get a chance. Thanks for posting what will be a Holiday tradition at our house.
- 1 quart milk
- 12 large eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4-1 1⁄2 cup Bourbon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 quart whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the milk in a saucepan over medium heat (Do not boil).
- In a mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the eggs at medium speed, until they are thick and pale; gradually add in the sugar, beating well.
- Gradually stir about 1/4 of hot milk into egg mixture.
- Add egg mixture to remaining hot milk; stirring constantly.
- Cook over medium-low for 25-30 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and reaches 160°.
- Stir in bourbon, vanilla, and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg.
- Remove pan from heat; let cool.
- Cover and chill (up to two days).
- When ready to serve, beat whipping cream at medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Fold the whipped cream into the egg mixture.
- Sprinkle with additional nutmeg before serving.