Recipe by DaHomeCooker
An old time holiday favorite. Better than the stuff you buy at the store. Really good with or without the bourbon / Rum **Important Food safety note ** This contains raw eggs and must be kept below 40 degrees until serving.
- 1 dozen egg (separated)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 cups Bourbon, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup rum, to taste
- 1 quart milk (add another pint of milk if not using liquor)
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 3 pints heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat together the egg yolks and salt in a large mixing bowl, slowly adding 1 1/2 cups of the sugar.
- Continue beating until tick and pale.
- Stir in the bourbon, rum, milk and vanilla until well mixed.
- Beat the egg whites until foamy and slowly add the remaining 3/4 cup sugar, continuing to beat until stiff and all the sugar has been incorporated.
- Whip the cream until stiff.
- Now fold the egg whites into the yolk mixture and then fold in the whipped cream.
- Taste and add more bourbon and/or sugar if necessary.
- Serve Chilled with the Nutmeg sprinkled on top.