Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is one of the best homemade puddings, forget about the boxed stuff this takes minutes to make and is much better! If you want deeper-flavored chocolate then use regular semisweet chocolate chips instead of milk chocolate chips --- this will yield 2-3 and may be doubled.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar (if you prefer a really sweet pudding add in a few tablespoons more sugar)
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa, sifted
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch (measure 3 tablespoons exactly!)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream or 1 1⁄2 cups full-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup milk chocolate chips (use semisweet chocolate for a deeper chocolate taste)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- In a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan whisk together the sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt.
- Add in the half and half and whipping cream.
- set the saucepan over medium heat and cook whisking constantly until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil (this should take about 5 minutes).
- Remove from heat and add in vanilla and gently add in the milk chocolate chips and vanilla (do not mix completely) let stand for 5 minutes, the mix until the chocolate is completely mixed in (do not stir to much or the pudding will thin out).
- Divide the mixture into 3 or four small dessert dishes.
- Chill until cold (you might want to cover each dish with plastic wrap).
Bravo! The first time I made it as per the recipe and it was too rich for our tastes but totally divine nonetheless. Second time I put in all milk, omitted the heavy cream, used just 1/3 cup of semi sweet chocolate and upped the salt ratio to 1/2 tsp. Though its pretty quick to put together still I plan on making little packs of the dry ingredients which should satisfy midnight choco cravings in a snap. Thanks again kit :)
This was a wonderful easy chocolate pudding. I doubled it and used whole milk and Tropical Source semisweet chocolate chips from Whole Foods. My chips weren't completely melted so my son thought I had small soft lumps! Thanks for sharing your wonderful recipes with us!
As with all of your recipes I have tried, this is a keeper. My husband has always wanted homemade chocolate pudding "like his mom made". Well, this is the only one that he has approved of. The only problem I had was the chips didn't melt all the way but I think that may have been my fault as I used an off brand of chips. Still very tasty. This will go in the make often file. Thanks again Kitten for a wonderful recipe!! SammiCat