Recipe by quick meal
This recipe is from my mother in law. It gives a nice twist to the traditional potato soup. This does not take very long to throw together and is almost a one pot meal. I hope you enjoy it!
- 5 lbs large potatoes
- 1 (12 1/2 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 (12 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (16 ounce) bag yolk-free egg noodles
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 gallon milk (just to cover potatoes)
- 1⁄4 cup instant mashed potatoes
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook potatoes until just tender in a dutch oven. Drain and leave in strainer.
- Cook noodles as directed in separate pot.
- While noodles are cooking, put butter in bottom of dutch oven. Saute onions and celery in butter until just tender (not caramalized). Add potatoes back into dutch oven with onion and celery. Add noodles to potatoes, onions and celery.
- Add creamed corn and cream of mushroom soup in with the other ingredients. Mix.
- Add milk to cover all ingredients. Mix.
- Stir mixture and allow to come just to a boil. Keep the heat on medium to be sure not to scorch the bottom. Stir. Turn heat down to low and simmer slowly for about 20 minutes. Stir often.
- Add instant mashed potatoes and stir. More potatoes can be added to thicken the soup if you would like. (Wait for 5 minutes to add any additional because the mixture will thicken as it sits.).
- Serve with a little cheddar cheese and crackers of your choice (I like ritz).