Recipe by TasteTester
Our family loves custard pie, and we enjoy this variation of my usual recipe. The buttermilk gives a slightly tangy taste to the pie and the orange zest adds a nice, bright flavor to the custard. (Time for the pie to cool completely is in addition to the cooking time below.)
- 15 ounces refrigerated pie crusts (or your own homemade piecrust)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- sliced strawberry (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F Place piecrust into a 9" pie plate and crimp edges decoratively. Chill 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, combine the sugar and flour. Using a whisk, stir in the 4 eggs, one at a time. Stir in the buttermilk, melted butter and orange zest until blended.
- Place pie plate with prepared piecrust on baking sheet; fill piecrust with buttermilk mixture. Bake 30 minutes, or until center is set. Let cook completely. Garnish with sliced strawberries, if desired.