Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
You can make this sour cream if you don't have any health issues, but I like it made with plain low fat or fat-free yogurt. A very refreshing side dish for something like a stew. Standing time is cooking time.
- 3 cups English cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- In a colander, sprinkle the cucumbers with the salt and let stand to drain for 30 minutes.
- Pat dry.
- Meanwhile, soak the onion in cold water for 15 minutes.
- Drain and pat dry.
- In a bowl, mix together the yogurt, dillweed, vinegar and sugar.
- Add the cucumbers and onion and toss to coat.
Wow--this is sooooo good!! It's cool and creamy and crunchy and dilly and tangy and delicious! I scaled the servings down to 1 (my DH isn't a fan of cucumbers), and used a green salad onion, low fat sour cream, and white vinegar--all of which worked fine. Several years ago I had a wonderful cucumber salad at a local restaurant, and have been searching for the recipe ever since--but this cucumber salad is even better! A copy of this recipe is now in my best-of-the-best cookbook, and I look forward to enjoying it again! Thanks so much for sharing it, Irmgard!!
Cool and creamy. I used fat free sour cream instead of ff yogurt. I liked that the cucumbers stayed crisp ad the dressing wasn't too liquidy. Dill is always a good parter for cukes......yum! Thanx for sharing.
I am always looking for ways to incorporate plain yogurt into our diets! I had some fresh dill on hand (rarity!) so I made this to go with our broccoli ham frittata. This was tangy and very refreshing. It was the right amount of creaminess, without being heavy (who needs extra calories in a cucumber dish). I really liked that it didn't have sour cream or mayonnaise in it, too. This was the first time I'd made a creamy cucumber dish for the kids but they seemed to enjoy it. Thanks Irmgard, for posting. Roxygirl