Recipe by Chef Nichol
I came up with this recipe for my family as an alternate to canned tomato soup. It is rich and creamy and just perfect on a winters night! It's a big favorite in our house and I hope you enjoy it as much as we do! Makes a fantastic soup to dip those yummy grilled cheese sammies in! ;o)
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon sweet basil
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the undrained tomatoes & chicken broth; still well and add oregano & basil.
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours. Strain tomato chunks and place in blender; puree until no bits remain.
- Add cream to the tomato/broth mix in the crock pot and stir well.
- Add the tomato puree back to the broth mix and heat through.
- Serve in crocks or bowls and top with pats of butter, croutons, sour cream, shredded cheese, or whatever you like!