Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 hrs
The smell you'll wake up to in the morning from this crockpot oatmeal is the best ever! I know you can cook delicious oatmeal in a pot in the morning, but you miss out on the glorious smell! Plus, having one less thing to do in the morning is always a good thing :)
- 2 cups regular oats (not quick cooking) or 2 cups steel cut oats
- 5 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 cup golden raisin
- Combine all ingredients in a crockpot the night before. Cover and cook on low overnight. Serve in the morning with milk, brown sugar, and any other condiments that sound good. My favorites are sliced bananas, pecans, coconut and raspberries.
Recipe for 12 filled a large crockpot. 10 hours is too long. I cooked it for 8 hours, but will probably turn it off around 7 hours next time. . Added milk and kept on warm all morning. It was very good.
I used regular oats (not quick cooking) and this turned out extremely soupy and gross. Oats were burned/caked around the edges of the pot. Completely inedible. Steel cut oats may work better.
I only cooked for about 7 hours, Fabulous!!