Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I usually have these going in one crock pot and my meat in another. It is so nice to have a complete meal ready when you come home.
- 2 lbs potatoes (about 6 medium)
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 10 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 slices American cheese
- Peel and thinly slice potatoes and place in a medium mixing bowl.
- In a Pyrex measuring cup, mix together water and cream of tartar. Pour mixture over potatoes; drain but don't rinse.
- The cream of tartar keeps the potatoes from turning brown during cooking. You can use this method for any crock pot recipe that calls for potatoes.
- Place half of potatoes in bottom of crock pot with half of the flour and sliced onion. Sprinkle half of the flour on top. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add remaining potatoes, onion and flour. Dollop butter over top of potatoes.
- Spoon undiluted soup over top next.
- Cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours and on High for 3 to 4.
- Thirty minutes before serving add cheese by breaking it into small pieces; blend it.
- I have doubled this recipe for my Rival 5 quart slow cooker and it turns out great.
These potatoes were tasty and easy! We did not add the cheese, though. Still a good side dish with our ham dinner!