Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
Eating Well, 160 calories, 7 g fat, 1 g fiber
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme (or 1/2 t. dried)
- 1 lb cremini mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (14 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper
- lemon juice, to taste
- dry sherry, to taste
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over low heat.
- Add in onion; cook/stir until soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add in thyme and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in mushrooms; cover and steam until the mushrooms exude their moisture, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over the mushrooms; increase heat to medium and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in broth, scraping up any flour that clings to the pan.
- Simmer/stir occasionally, until thickened and smooth, 5-7 minutes.
- Combine sour cream and milk; whisk into the mushrooms.
- Season with salt and pepper; gently heat until the soup is hot but not boiling.
- Just before serving, stir in lemon juice and sherry (if using).