Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Kids of all ages enjoy this...my DH loves this in the cooler months, and I could eat the whole thing myself, it is that good! Make certain to use a heavy-bottomed saucepan to make this, as it will scorch easily, or it also can be made in the microwave, but you will have to keep taking it out to stir it. You can also use pancake syrup in place of the maple syrup (store-bought or homemade). If you are a Cream of Wheat fan, then this is a recipe you are certain to enjoy!
Top Review by dukeswalker
I can't believe that others haven't mentioned how THICK this was! It was really, really thick. The taste was also ok - my 5yo said it tasted too much like banana. I though it was ok...Thanks for posting a new way to try an ol' favorite.
- 1 small banana
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups milk (the more fat in the milk, the creamier it will be)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cream of wheat (also known as farina)
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup (can use 1/3 cup)
- 1 banana, sliced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted (good to sprinkle on top) (optional)
- cereal cream or milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop (don't mash) enough banana to equal 1 cup (I just use one small banana for this).
- In a saucepan, combine 2 cups water with milk and salt; bring to a boil.
- Gradually whisk in cream of wheat, and continue to whisk constantly until the mixture thickens (this will take about 4 minutes).
- Stir in maple syrup and chopped banana into the cereal and mix to combine.
- Divide into serving bowls and top with sliced banana and toasted almonds if desired.
- Pour on cream or milk on top of the hot or warm cereal.