Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Fresh cranberries are here. This coffee cake is perfect for fall occasions.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups coarsely chopped cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
Cream Cheese Layer
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter
- In a big mixing bowl, mix together the first four ingredients.
- In another smaller bowl, mix together the egg, orange juice, butter and vanilla; add to the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Fold in the cranberries and orange peel.
- Pour mixture into a greased 9-inch springform pan.
- In a mixing bowl, add the cream cheese and sugar; beat until smooth and creamy.
- Add the egg and vanilla; stir to mix well.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over the batter.
- Mix together the flour and sugar; using a pastry blender, cut in the cold butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle over the top.
- Place springform pan on top of a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 70-75 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool on a wire rack 15 minutes before removing the sides of the pan.
This is my "go-to" recipe for the last three staff breakfast potlucks. It looks beautiful and tastes great. I am always asked for the recipe. Once I substituted lemon peel for orange, and once I ran out of frozen cranberries so I used cran-raisins instead. I think the original recipe is the best tasting though. As to baking time, I usually have to cook it a little longer because the center looks undone. Last time I left it in about 15 minutes longer and the sides and bottom were too done. Just keep your eye on it. Even if the center isn't quite done looking, take it out.
Very good but the cooking time was to long. I used orange zest in the topping and splenda instead of sugar. I will make this again because its good.