Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I invented this for my young cousin's wedding reception. His outdoor-gear company's name is "Sierra Madre Research" so I thought something with a south-of-the-border flair might be tasty. IT IS! This would also work well with chopped shrimp or shredded cooked chicken, in which case you could kick the "heat" up a notch (I kept the spices on the milder side so as not to overpower the delicate crab flavor).
- 1⁄2 cup vidalia onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- salt and black pepper
- 1 lb frozen white creamed corn, thawed
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces jalapeno pepper cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 lb lump crabmeat
- Melt butter in large skillet. Add vegetables and cook until soft. Stir in corn and sherry, cook another two minutes. Turn off heat, add cheeses, and stir until melted. Stir in lime juice and cilantro. Add crabmeat last, folding in gently so as not to break up the lumps too much. Serve hot or at room temperature, or even cold!
- Serve with scoop-type chips or buttery crackers.