Recipe by Morning Biscotti
This is a lighter and creamier version. They are soft and need at least an hour chilling time before pan frying.
Top Review by marie mt
These were good crab cakes but not creamy. My husband wanted creamy crab cakes in the worst way. He found this recipe himself and I tried it for a special occasion. While the crab cakes were good, mine did not turn out creamy at all. I followed the instructions almost to the letter but my "thin mayonaise" mixture was very liquid. I had a hard time forming the cakes without them falling apart. I found it difficult to drege them in bread crumbs without them falling apart. I had extra liquid which I poured over the cakes and it was absorbed after chilling for several hours. I had no doubt that I was not going to be able to fry these without them breaking apart so, as other recipes suggested, I baked them for 10 minutes at 400 degrees and then broiled them for 5 minutes. I was pleased by how crispy the bread crumb coating turned out. (I had used panko crumbs.) While these were spicy and tasty, they were just not what I was hoping for, which was a crusty crab cake with a soft creamy center.
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon diced red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon diced yellow onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 lb crabmeat
- 4 cups bread, crumbs
- 4 -5 tablespoons unsalted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- In a food processor, combine the egg yolk, vinegar, mustard, bell pepper, onion, 2 tspon parsley, tabasco, paprika, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Slowly add the oil until the mixture emulsifies and forms a thin mayonnaise.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and stir in the sour cream.
- Stir in the crabmeat, gently to prevent from breaking the lumps.
- Form 8 patties, 3 inches wide by 3/4 inch thick.
- Put the bread crumps in a shallow plate and mix in the 3 tbsp of parsley.
- Lightl dredge the patties on both sides in the bread crmbs.
- Cover the crab cakes with plastic wrap and chill for at least one hour or longer.
- Heat a skillet with butter over low to medium heat.
- Add the crab cakes, fry for about 4 minutes perside or until golden brown.