Recipe by ~*Miss Diggy*~
Why mixed-up in the name? This recipe uses a lot of "different" things altogether to make a very good and filling stew. My 1 year old daughter loved it so much, she was even licking her plate clean (which I have never seen with ANY baby).
Top Review by samalita
Delicious. Delicious. Delicious.
I was excited and nervous about trying this recipe. Excited because I love all the ingredients, and because of your daughter's reaction to it. Nervous because I've never had cottage cheese in a stew before, and I wasn't sure how all the ingredients were gonna go together.
In the end, it was amazing. I followed the recipe exactly, except that I added more cilantro, and I used cream of mushroom with roasted garlic for the soup. I served it with oyster crackers.
My 2 toddlers loved it. My 3 y.o. said we should change the name to "bed time soup" because it made her feel calm and quiet. I guess she just figured out what they mean by "comfort food". :)
My oldest daughter (11) wouldn't eat it because she said it was a weird color, even though it's the same color as one of her favorite meals. That's a tween for ya.
This recipe made a LOT of stew. After we all ate our fill, I froze the left overs. I'll definitely bring this out on the next frozen day- BUT it would be great for any season.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small zucchini, peeled and diced
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs ground beef
- 5 potatoes, diced into bite sized pieces
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups water
- 8 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (16 ounce) container cottage cheese
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a sauce pan and then add the scallions and zucchini and sauté for a few minutes.
- When finished, place them along with the potatoes, carrots, garlic, cilantro, water, and bullion cubes in a pot and boil until the vegetables are cooked through. This usually takes about 10-15 minutes.
- In the sauce pan used to sauté, put in the ground beef and brown, then drain.
- Dish the ground beef into water with vegetables, even if veggies aren't done.
- Once vegetables are finished cooking through, add the cream of mushroom soup, and stir.
- Then in a small bowl, mix the milk and cornstarch together, and then add it into the stew, letting it thicken up.
- Add the cottage cheese, and let it completely melt, then serve.