This is a summer salad with a Mediterranean flare! I created it for RSC #7. You can add a chopped bell pepper and increase the amount of mint if you desire, or throw in some other fresh herbs of your choice. See the notes in parentheses to make this dairy-free.
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 1 1⁄4 cups boiling water
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, crumbled (Galaxy Foods also makes feta soy cheese crumbles)
- 1 (8 ounce) container plain yogurt (or soy yogurt)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Place couscous in a large bowl and pour boiling water over the top. Let it soak for 10 minutes for the grains to swell, then fluff it with a fork.
- Add the tomato, chickpeas, and feta to the couscous.
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, lemon juice, mint, and salt and pepper.
- Pour the yogurt mixture over the couscous and mix well to combine.
- Eat it as is or chill it in the refrigerator for a real Summer treat. It's even better when the flavors combine for at least an hour.